Party Treat Leaves 3-Year-Old In A Coma

Mirranda Grace Lawson was just three years old when she passed away in November of last year.

Earlier in the year, the little girl was celebrating her Mom’s birthday when she choked and went into a coma.

The girl was hospitalized and put on life support, while her parents were at her side and fought for her life until the very end.

After Mirranda’s passing, her parents are now raising awareness about the choking hazards which young children face every day.

In Mirranda’s case, all it took was a single kernel of popcorn kernel which ultimately resulted in her death. Mirranda Grace Lawson died in November, however, the struggle began six months earlier.

Mirranda’s mother, Alison, was celebrating her birthday at home with her husband, Patrick, and their kids when the unimaginable happened.

Mirranda’s GoFundMe page says “At the end of Alison’s birthday, Mirranda ran in to the living room. Eyes huge, no sound. Time stopped. Those were the last moments they shared before Mirranda fell to the ground; they swept her mouth, nothing; Pat started CPR. The ambulance got there. Mirranda’s heart stopped.”

There was nothing in her mouth, but a small popcorn kernel had gotten wedged in her windpipe and choked her. On route to the hospital, paramedics managed to get Mirranda’s heart pumping again.

When Mirranda arrived at the ER, she was immediately put on a respirator and her family hoped for the best. Tragically, Mirranda’s doctors soon realized that Mirranda was brain dead.

The hospital suggested the family turn off life support, but they wouldn’t give up on their little girl. The Lawson’s fought with the hospital to keep their daughter alive, and the case ended up going to court.

The Lawson family decided to try the case in the Virginia Supreme Court. Throughout this, Mirranda was closely monitored by caring nurses.

The court was slow to make a decision, but at the same time Mirranda’s health suddenly deteriorated and she died in November.

By sharing their story, Mirranda’s family wants to raise awareness about choking hazards so that other children don’t end up in the same situation.

Hayley Malan

Hayley Malan is a full time working Mom and freelance writer. She gets her inspiration from her own experiences as a mother.

Recent Posts

Breaking News: Middle School Student Shoots Himself At School

A seventh grader in Ohio shot himself in a school bathroom early on Tuesday, authorities have confirmed. The student shot…

23 hours ago

People Really Want Child-Free Zones On Planes

For some people, the idea of being seated next to a child or baby is literally their own personal definition…

23 hours ago

Mom Falls In Coma After C-Section, But Her Baby Brought Her Back To Life 1 Week Later

What was thought to be a routine delivery, quickly turned into a awful medical emergency. When Shelly Cawley went into…

23 hours ago

Mother Admits To Poisoning Her 7-Week-Old Baby On Purpose And Killing Him

Heartbreaking story of a little boy whose short life was cut when his mother took away any chance he had.…

23 hours ago

Distraught Mother Drops Off 2 Children At Phoenix Fire Station

Fire Crews at Phoenix Fire Station 22 responded to an unusual emergency when a young mother showed up on their…

2 days ago

7-Year-Old Was The 5th Child Shot In 11 Days In Jacksonville

Boy's death draws outrage from community, police, city leaders   The death of a 7-year-old Jacksonville boy in a drive-by shooting Sunday night…

2 days ago