Categories: Daycare

Shocking: House Fire Causes 3 Children`s Death While 11 Year Old Babysits

A really horrific incident occurred in Sheboygan, WI recently when parents were out at what is said to have been bible study while their four kids — 11, 10, 9 and 7 — were home. A fire then broke out and the Sheboygan Press reported that one of the children escaped. The oldest went back in to get the younger ones and she died, as did her 7 year old brother. Their 10 year old brother is still in critical condition.

There’s now a lot of debate about whether or not these kids were old enough to be left alone at home without adult supervision. However it’s certainly not the parent’s fault that the fire broke out. This incident is a real tragedy, either way you look at it.

Have you ever wondered what you would do if a fire were to break out in your home?

Here are some important prevention and safety tips when it comes to home fires, which you can educate your children with:

Teach your kids to:

  • Never touch radiators or heaters or stand too close to a fireplace or wood stove, either.
  • Never touch matches. Stay away from lighters and candles, too.
  • Not play with electrical cords and don’t stick anything into an electrical socket.
  • Don’t put anything over a lamp. Things thrown over a lamp (like a scarf or blanket) could catch fire

If a fire should break out, ensure you and your children are prepared:

  • Have an escape plan. Work together to plan how to get out of your home if there is a fire
  • Choose a meeting place. Pick a safe and easy-to-remember place outside your home where you will meet your family after you get out of the house
  • Plan two ways out of every room. The first way out should be a door.
  • Drill! Every escape path needs to be planned and practiced with grown-ups.
  • If you have smoke alarms – test them regularly

An important thing to remember is that if your clothing catches fire, remember to stop where you are and drop to the ground. Cover your face and mouth with your hands, and roll over and over until the flames are out.

Hayley Malan

Hayley Malan is a full time working Mom and freelance writer. She gets her inspiration from her own experiences as a mother.

Recent Posts

Breaking News: Middle School Student Shoots Himself At School

A seventh grader in Ohio shot himself in a school bathroom early on Tuesday, authorities have confirmed. The student shot…

1 day ago

People Really Want Child-Free Zones On Planes

For some people, the idea of being seated next to a child or baby is literally their own personal definition…

1 day ago

Mom Falls In Coma After C-Section, But Her Baby Brought Her Back To Life 1 Week Later

What was thought to be a routine delivery, quickly turned into a awful medical emergency. When Shelly Cawley went into…

1 day ago

Mother Admits To Poisoning Her 7-Week-Old Baby On Purpose And Killing Him

Heartbreaking story of a little boy whose short life was cut when his mother took away any chance he had.…

1 day ago

Distraught Mother Drops Off 2 Children At Phoenix Fire Station

Fire Crews at Phoenix Fire Station 22 responded to an unusual emergency when a young mother showed up on their…

2 days ago

7-Year-Old Was The 5th Child Shot In 11 Days In Jacksonville

Boy's death draws outrage from community, police, city leaders   The death of a 7-year-old Jacksonville boy in a drive-by shooting Sunday night…

2 days ago