Categories: Viral

A Father’s Heartbreaking Warning About the Common Household Item That Killed His Toddler

George Asan has spoken out about the common household item that killed his daughter: a button battery.

Although 2-year-old Francesca didn’t choke on the small battery and die from lack of oxygen – George wants other parents to be aware of exactly why these items are even more dangerous than many realize.

After Francesca swallowed the button battery without her parents even knowing, it started to corrode as soon as it came into contact with internal fluids. This caused internal bleeding as the battery burned the child.

It is very hard for me to talk about losing Francesca. I feel guilty. Unfortunately, we didn’t see anything wrong, no signs,” George said in a clip made with Child Accident Prevention Trust to warn other parents. “We found that it was a button battery and straight away I went to the cabinet and we had the 3D glasses for the TV. It was one of the spare batteries, in the original box of the glasses, which was in another box.”

In 2010 alone, over 3,400 kids swallowed button batteries  according to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Symptoms could include sudden crying, drooling, decreased eating or drinking, hoarse voice, chest or abdominal pain, trouble swallowing, vomiting, and blood in saliva and stool.

George hopes that parents share this film to raise awareness – not only how dangerous these button batteries are but also how common they are throughout the home.

According to the CAPT, parents shouldn’t wait to get immediate medical assistance if they suspect their child ate one. Even if the child isn’t choking or showing any signs of distress, they should be seen by a medical doctor.

“If a button battery, particularly a lithium button battery, gets stuck in the throat or gullet, energy from the battery can react with saliva to make the body create caustic soda. This is the same chemical used to unblock drains,” the CAPT website says.

“This can burn a hole through the throat and can lead to serious internal bleeding and death. The reaction can happen in as little as two hours.”

The CAPT warns that these batteries can be dangerous if they get stuck in a child’s nose or ear, but the lack of symptoms after a child swallows it can make this even more dangerous. “Unfortunately it may not be obvious that a button battery is stuck in a child’s throat. There are no specific symptoms associated with this,” the website said.

They may appear to have a stomach upset or a virus. The lack of clear symptoms means it may not be obvious that your child has swallowed a button battery until it’s too late. This is why it is important to be vigilant with spare button batteries in the home and the products that contain them.”

Hayley Malan

Hayley Malan is a full time working Mom and freelance writer. She gets her inspiration from her own experiences as a mother.

Recent Posts

Incredible Surgery in the Womb Corrects Baby’s Spina Bifida After Her Parents Reject Abortion

There is now hope for children with spina bifida as doctors develop new techniques to correct the defect in utero.…

7 hours ago

Missing 11-Year-Old Florida Girl Was Lured By 24-Year-Old Man Posing As Young Girl On Minecraft

An 11-year-old girl from Florida who went missing was lured by a man who posed as a young girl on…

8 hours ago

Mom Charged After Walking Into Hospital Carrying ‘Obviously Deceased’ Toddler

My heart completely breaks for people waiting to get pregnant or to adopt a kid who is going to be…

8 hours ago

Schools Are Now Selling Bulletproof Panels For Kid’s Backpacks

It’s not uncommon to see schools selling a variety of different items, usually marketed towards parents as a means of…

8 hours ago

Breaking News: Middle School Student Shoots Himself At School

A seventh grader in Ohio shot himself in a school bathroom early on Tuesday, authorities have confirmed. The student shot…

1 day ago

People Really Want Child-Free Zones On Planes

For some people, the idea of being seated next to a child or baby is literally their own personal definition…

1 day ago