Categories: Childcare

Baby Suffers Lead Poisoning From Homeopathic Teething Bracelet

Baby Suffers Lead Poisoning From Homeopathic Teething Bracelet

The parents bought the “healing bracelet” to help with teething

There are a lot of teething remedies that circulate in the parenting sphere; some are helpful and some not so much. Others are downright dangerous. You can file “homeopathic magnetic healing bracelets” under harmful after a baby in Manchester, Connecticut got lead poisoning from wearing one.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that was just released, the parents bought the handmade bracelet at a local fair to help with their infant’s teething pain. Below is the bracelet in question.

The report says they would place the bracelet on the 9-month old baby intermittently to alleviate discomfort associated with teething. The baby proceeded to put the bracelet in her mouth and chew on it, because yeah, it’s a teething baby.

During a routine check up at the doctor’s office, the baby had standard labs drawn and that’s when the lead poisoning was discovered. The tests showed that the baby was anemic (low red blood cell counts) and had a blood lead level of 41 μg/dL. The acceptable upper limit is 5 μg/dL. That means the baby had almost eight times more than the acceptable upper limit. While no level of lead is OK, health practitioners typically employ health interventions when it goes over 5 μg/dL.

The home where the baby lived was initially searched for lead because it was built in 1926. That presumably seemed like the most likely cause of the baby’s lead poisoning. In the U.S., questionnaires focusing on old homes and paint are common. If your family lives in a home build before 1978, infants and toddlers are routinely tested for lead poisoning.

In this case, the home tests came back with no possible sources of lead exposure. That wasn’t the case for the small spacer beads on the teething bracelet. Those little spacer beads had 17,000 ppm of lead, which is way higher than the 100 ppm limit set by the Consumer Product Commission for children’s products. As you might expect, the bracelet didn’t have any labels on it disclosing lead content. Additionally, the Manchester Health Department couldn’t find the maker of the bracelets.

Ultimately, this case should serve as a warning to doctors and parents. There are possible risks for lead poisoning when children are handling or wearing metal jewelry. Babies put everything in their mouths because that’s how they explore their environment and make sense of the world. Not only does certain jewelry pose a lead risk, it is a choking hazard as well.

Look, a teething baby can make for a desperate parent. We’ve all been there. And while some homeopathic remedies are enticing and many people try them, we still have to carefully examine everything our kids play with or put in their mouths. Amber teething necklaces are also incredibly popular, but still present a choking risk if nothing else.

If you suspect there could possibly be lead in a child’s product it’s best you report it right away to your local health department so that it doesn’t get into the hands (or mouth) of another child.

Hayley Malan

Hayley Malan is a full time working Mom and freelance writer. She gets her inspiration from her own experiences as a mother.

Recent Posts

Incredible Surgery in the Womb Corrects Baby’s Spina Bifida After Her Parents Reject Abortion

There is now hope for children with spina bifida as doctors develop new techniques to correct the defect in utero.…

3 hours ago

Missing 11-Year-Old Florida Girl Was Lured By 24-Year-Old Man Posing As Young Girl On Minecraft

An 11-year-old girl from Florida who went missing was lured by a man who posed as a young girl on…

3 hours ago

Mom Charged After Walking Into Hospital Carrying ‘Obviously Deceased’ Toddler

My heart completely breaks for people waiting to get pregnant or to adopt a kid who is going to be…

3 hours ago

Schools Are Now Selling Bulletproof Panels For Kid’s Backpacks

It’s not uncommon to see schools selling a variety of different items, usually marketed towards parents as a means of…

4 hours ago

Breaking News: Middle School Student Shoots Himself At School

A seventh grader in Ohio shot himself in a school bathroom early on Tuesday, authorities have confirmed. The student shot…

1 day ago

People Really Want Child-Free Zones On Planes

For some people, the idea of being seated next to a child or baby is literally their own personal definition…

1 day ago