Child Struck In Chisago County Snowmobile Crash Dies

February 2, 2018
Keep Reading ↓

The 8-year-old boy who was injured in a Chisago County snowmobile crash died on Wednesday, according to his family.

Eleanor Geisenkoetter confirmed on a CaringBridge page set up for the boy that Alan Geisenkoetter Jr. had passed away.

“Life changed today,” the post says. “We met with the care team this morning. Alan’s brain damage was way worse than any of us thought. Most of his brain was damaged. There was never a day we thought we would have to make a decision like this. Little Alan got his angel wings today.”

Alan Geisenkoetter Jr. suffered head trauma and fractures to both legs after a snowmobile crashed into the ice house he and his father, Alan Geisenkoetter Sr., were setting up on Chisago Lake last Friday.

The boy was airlifted to a metro hospital, according to the sheriff’s office. His father was transported from the scene by ambulance.

The driver of the snowmobile, 45-year-old Eric Joseph Coleman, has been charged with two counts of criminal vehicular operation causing great bodily harm under the influence of alcohol and one count of DWI.

Coleman’s license has been revoked after a November 2017 incident where his blood alcohol concentration was 0.30, and he is currently under ignition interlock.

In the criminal complaint, authorities noted that he “poses a serious ongoing threat to public safety,” which is why a warrant for his arrest was issued.

Coleman has had his license revoked 3 times, according to court documents.

Authorities are currently still investigating the incident.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has more information is asked to call the Chisago County Sheriff’s Office at 651-213-6362.

Doctors Can Stop Life-Support To Brain-Damaged 11-Month-Old Against His Parents` Wishes

Doctors can stop life-support treatment to a brain-damaged 11-month-old against his parents’ wishes, a High Court judge has said.

 The King’s College Hospital wanted to give only palliative care to Isaiah Haastrup as staff felt continued life-support was “not in his best interests”.

Isaiah’s parents, Takesha Thomas and Lanre Haastrup,, wanted his life-support treatment to continue.

Mr Justice MacDonald said that he passed his ruling with “profound sadness”.

Mr Haastrup, from Peckham, south London, said after the ruling: “We will be speaking to the lawyers to see what they say. 

“Of course, one is disappointed.”During the hearing, doctors told the judge Isaiah suffered “catastrophic” brain damage due to being deprived of oxygen at birth. 

They said that Isaiah was in a low level of consciousness, he could not move or breathe independently and was connected to a ventilator.

They also mentioned Isaiah did not respond to stimulation.

However, Miss Thomas told the judge: “When I speak to him he will respond, slowly, by opening one eye.”

“I see a child who is injured. He needs love. He needs care. I have it. I can give it,”she added.

“To say it is so poor, it is not worth living, that is not right. It is not their decision to make.”

Barrister Fiona Paterson, who representsKing’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said nobody could understand the pain and suffering Isaiah’s parents had endured.

However, she said that overwhelming medical evidence showed stopping treatment was best for Isaiah.

In his ruling, Mr Justice MacDonald said: “Examining Isaiah’s best interests from a broad perspective I am satisfied that it is not in his best interests for life-sustaining medical treatment to be continued.

“That, with profound sadness, is my judgment.”

A spokeswoman for the King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation trust said the case had been an “extremely difficult time for Isaiah’s parents and all those involved in his care”. 

She also added: “The court’s decision to transfer Isaiah to palliative care is in his best interests and based on overwhelming expert evidence.

“Our priority now is to provide Isaiah with the medical care he needs, working closely with and supporting his parents.”

Mr Haastrup and Miss Thomas previously have submitted a claim for clinical negligence against King’s College Hospital, separate to the High Court ruling.

The King’s spokeswoman said that an investigation “highlighted some failings” in its care.

“We apologise unreservedly to the family,” she added.

SaveSave

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *