Before She Died, She Strapped Her Baby In A Car Seat And Threw It Out The Window

December 24, 2017
Keep Reading ↓

How quickly do you think would you react in an emergency situation? Would you make sure that your child was safe, and then follow? Or do you think you would you grab your baby and not let go, even if that meant risking both of your lives?

Usually when faced with a life-threatening situation, your natural instincts kick in and you just do what you can to save your offspring.

Shelby Carter made a quick decision in one of those very terrifying situations – and it actually saved her baby’s life.

It’s unknown how much time had passed between the time the 21-year-old new mother realized that her Wyoming, Illinois home was on fire, to the time she decided how to act.

Investigators believe it’s probably seconds, or maybe a minute or two.

Carter’s Illinois home was engulfed in flames, and the Mother knew she had to save her 12-day-old newborn.

She quickly decided to put her infant into a car seat and toss the baby from a second-story window.

Her decision was a tragic and heroic one. Carter’s very quick decision actually saved her newborn before fire and smoke engulfed the upstairs bedroom, investigators said.

It’s just incredible that she was able to pull her thoughts together to save her baby,” Ed Foglesonger, chief of the Wyoming-Speer Fire Protection District, told the Chicago Tribune.

“It’s just too bad she couldn’t save herself; but I’d say it’s nothing short of a miracle the way it ended up.”

The ending is however tragic in that Carter couldn’t jump from the second-story house where Carter lived with her mother, to save herself, too.

By the time rescuers made their way inside the house, they found Carter’s body inside the bedroom.

An autopsy revealed that Carter died by carbon monoxide intoxication from smoke inhalation. However, before she died, she had smashed a window to save her baby.

Rescuers found that Carter’s baby, Keana Davis, inside her car seat, which was resting on top of a pile of debris, the fire chief said.

The chief of the local volunteer fire department said: “I guess it’s the motherly instinct to take care of their young. We’re all wondering why she didn’t go out after the baby.”

It’s a miracle that the baby had just a minor burn and escaped serious injury.

Keana was taken to the hospital in good condition and later released.

The good news is, the baby got home and is doing great,” Stark County Sheriff Steve Sloan told the Peoria Journal Star the day after the fire.

“Shelby made sure she was safe,” Hardy said of her daughter and granddaughter, according to KTLA.

On Facebook family members and friends hailed the young mother as a hero.

“Her 21st birthday was yesterday and on Facebook she had posted, you know, ‘What a great birthday!’” Carter’s cousin, Shawna Burwell said. “This morning on Snapchat I seen ‘loving these mommy moments’ and she had the baby laying on her chest.”

Carter’s Mom, Kathy Hardy, posted a photo on Facebook of her infant granddaughter at the hospital with the words “Beautiful Miracle.”

“Shelby was a fantastic mom and proud of her baby girl,” the victim’s aunt, Deb Carter Burwell, added, according to the newspaper.

Words cannot describe what has happened within our community today,” the Wyoming-Speer Fire Protection District posted on Facebook. “We have experienced a feeling that no department wants to go through. Words cannot express the way we truly feel. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family involved.”

“Playing basketball and children were Shelby’s passion,” Carter’s obituary said. “She loved every child she came in contact with and they loved her. Her greatest moment was becoming a mom.”

Friends and family sent consoling messages on Facebook to Carter’s family. One posted on Hardy’s page said “the baby” is a precious miracle Kathy! Hold her tight. Shelby will live on thru this little one.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *