Parents Say Peppa Pig Sunscreen “Burnt” Their Children’s Skin

January 5, 2017
Keep Reading ↓

A Horrified Mom, Jessie has taken to the Cancer Council Australia Facebook page to warn other parents about the possible dangers of the Charity’s 50+Peppa pig sunscreen.

She shared images of her 3-month-old son Thomas’s skin, which looks as if it’s been scalded in some way.

 

In her post she said:

“This is my 3 month old son. He has not been in the sun, he was simply outdoors so I put screen on him just in case,” she says.

“We’ve been in hospital for 3 days, 2 nights so far trying to treat this horrible rash/burn caused by your 50+Peppa pig sunscreen.

“DO NOT BUY THIS SUNSCREEN. Please explain how your product could possibly do this?!”

The post along with the shocking image attracted a phenomenal amount of attention and it got many parents lashing out.

The majority of commenters to the post claim that they have experienced similar reactions with their own kids which have prompted some to call for the product to be pulled off the shelves.

Some of the comments said:

“This Peppa pig sunscreen is the worst I have used! Me and my 4.5 year old son have got badly burnt every time we have used it, will be going in the bin and will buy never again.”

“Omg! I hate this sunscreen. I lathered my daughter in it when going to the beach, and she got soooooo burnt, almost like she had no sunscreen on at all. I will never ever ever buy this.”

 “Wow, only last Saturday we were at the beach. I put the Peppa pig sunscreen on my daughters face and another brand everywhere else. Her face was terribly burnt but no where else. But maybe it wasn’t burn and a reaction.”

The odd commenter, however, said they never had a problem with it, like this one:

 “I have never had a problem with it- I reapply every 2 hours to ensure no burning- Not every child will react to it – and let’s not forget that parents and kids forget to reapply so hence they get burnt anyway.”

Fortunately, Thomas was released from the hospital and the skin is healing. However, his Mom is quite shocked by the number of parents with similar concerns. She said on the post:

“I would expect maybe one or two comments about similar reactions, but I’m appalled by the amount of others who have gone through this. This can’t be right – a product aimed at children should be gentle and safe,”

The Cancer Council Australia responded to the post in part, saying:

 “Yesterday we were saddened to learn via Facebook that a young child had a negative experience with our SPF50+ Kids Sunscreen.

“We take any concern raised about our products very seriously and have been in direct contact with the boy’s mother, Jessie, to investigate this further.

“This product has been on the market for a number of years. Since it was introduced more than 250,000 bottles have been sold. We have only received a very small number of complaints regarding this product, some of which related to issues with the function of the pump spray, not the sunscreen itself.

“We investigate all feedback regarding our sunscreen products individually. On some occasions, we conclude that there has been an allergic or chemical reaction to particular, but different, ingredients in the product – this is why we always recommend doing a small patch test before applying any sunscreen to yourself or other family members.”

24 Comments

  1. Alicia Carrion

    January 7, 2017 at 1:00 am

    Claudia Carrion

  2. Sarah Beukes

    January 7, 2017 at 4:13 am

    Gabby

  3. Skye Brummert

    January 7, 2017 at 4:13 am

    Allergic reaction?

  4. Ariadna Miller

    January 7, 2017 at 4:50 am

    Josh Miller

  5. Essie Moreira

    January 7, 2017 at 5:53 am

    Wow

  6. Dannette Raya

    January 7, 2017 at 12:18 pm

    Lea Thorp FYI

  7. Jessica Munguia

    January 7, 2017 at 1:19 pm

    Poor baby

  8. Nicole Secor

    January 7, 2017 at 4:08 pm

    She reapplied every two hours? So… how long was she out in the sun with her baby for?

  9. Melissa Mitchell

    January 7, 2017 at 4:51 pm

    Looks like a reaction

    • Noelle Restaino

      January 7, 2017 at 4:59 pm

      Or a very cheap sunscreen that has very little UV protection

  10. Ruth LeeAnn Womack

    January 7, 2017 at 5:18 pm

    That’s why I use The Honest Company. It can happen w/ anything for sure. I choose to use Organic products for my daughter

  11. Kerry Ann Ponder

    January 7, 2017 at 5:25 pm

    Katie Therrien Ponder

  12. Josh Miller

    January 7, 2017 at 6:22 pm

    OMG

  13. Kimberly Johanna Marie Bikker

    January 7, 2017 at 6:46 pm

    I don’t understand why this parent didn’t try a little of the sunscreen on a small area before rubbing the new cream all over the poor baby . Nuthing wrong with making sure that area didn’t react before spreading it everywhere .

  14. Tara Norley-Gagliardi

    January 7, 2017 at 8:22 pm

    You shouldn’t put sunscreen on a baby younger than one!

    • Yvette

      January 11, 2017 at 3:44 am

      Exactly not on babies.

  15. Rachel Anthony Araujo

    January 7, 2017 at 9:23 pm

    Kate Ryan 🙁

    • Kate Ryan

      January 7, 2017 at 9:27 pm

      Eeek!!! That’s where I’ll draw the line with peppa pig!! Poor little thing 🙁

    • Rachel Anthony Araujo

      January 7, 2017 at 9:29 pm

      Right!! I didnt think you would buy their sunscreen but just in case!

    • Kate Ryan

      January 7, 2017 at 9:46 pm

      good to know!!!

    • Kate Ryan

      January 7, 2017 at 9:46 pm

      and thanks for the heads up 🙂

  16. Lana

    January 10, 2017 at 10:02 pm

    Wear clothes on baby and you don’t need any cream

  17. Yvette

    January 11, 2017 at 3:42 am

    I thought babies you don’t put nothing on their skin cause it’s sensitive n new. And if out in the sun put the baby in the shade

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *