Warning : This Healthy Fruit Snack Can Be Dangerous

April 8, 2017
Keep Reading ↓

This X-Ray of a grape stuck in a child’s throat needs to be seen by every parent.

Although grapes are a healthy snack for kids, many parents don’t realize just how dangerous it can be if it’s not cut properly. Grapes should never be served to children uncut and should be sliced, length wise in particular, to prevent them from getting lodged in a child’s throat.

The width of a grape is the same size as a small child’s airway. This warning isn’t just for parents of toddlers – as a Mom of an older child has experienced. Australian Blogger, Angela Henderson, proved this point by sharing an X-ray image of a grape lodged in a 5-year-old’s throat – and the image is going viral as an important reminder to parents.

Please be mindful that not all kids chew their food, are in a rush at school to get in the playground, etc.,” Angela wrote on Facebook. “Please be careful. And when in doubt just cut the damn grapes [and] baby tomatoes.”

Angela says that the little boy had to be operated on under general anesthesia in order to remove the grape. She explained that the boy’s mom gave permission for the X-ray to be shared in the hopes of raising awareness so no other family makes the same mistake. “He is VERY lucky that part of his airway was open, or else this could have ended badly.”

One Comment

  1. Gail Walker

    April 10, 2017 at 12:12 pm

    Im glad to see this article, because my granddaughter loves grapes. Now I have alerted her Mom to please cut them before she gives them to her.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *